Sunday, August 26, 2007

laundry soap roundup

Over the past few months, I have been testing three different laundry soaps that are readily available in my area. I'm pleased to say that I am happy with all three although I have made the decision to stick to one particular brand. Here's the summary.


I focused on the Arm & Hammer Essentials Powerful Natural Laundry Detergent and the Nature Clean All Natural Laundry Liquid in earlier posts so I'll talk a bit about the Method Laundry Detergent. This one is compatible with the new High Efficiency washers that are now readily available. The bottle is tiny, which means less waste, but I wasn't sure it would actually last the 32 loads it claimed to on the bottle. But it did, and it did a great cleaning job as well. I tried the unscented one, called "free + clear" but there are also a couple of scented varieties and a baby formulation.

In the end, I have decided to make the Nature Clean my detergent of choice for a few reasons. First, it is readily available in the grocery store I normally shop in. Second, out of the three I tried it probably had the best cleaning results, although it was really close. Third, it is made by a Canadian company and I am trying very hard buy as locally as I can.

As for price (in Canadian dollars), the Nature Clean is $12.99 and claims 52 loads. The Arm & Hammer is $5.69 for 32 loads and the Method is $9.99 for 32 loads.

So that will wrap up my quest for a green laundry detergent...for now. I still intend to try other products as I discover them. But for now, I'm happy with the outcome.

10 comments:

agorman said...

Thanks for blogging about this issue - lots of folks are wondering about "greener" laundry detergent these days. You may want to check out this new report
"Household Hazards" from Women's Voices for the Earth which discusses hazardous chemicals present in many common household cleaners. You can download the report and fact sheets at:
http://www.womenandenvironment.org

vivian said...

Thanks for the tip agorman! I will definitely check it out. I think it's crazy the amount of hazardous chemicals we come into contact with on a daily basis without being aware of it. I'm no scientist but I'm sure this is one of the factors contributing to the rise of diseases and illnesses from asthma and allergies to cancer. I'm glad that others are interested in this topic as well.

Thanks,
Vivian

Veggie said...

I was using dry powdered detergent made by 'The Soap Factory', I'm happy with it's cleaning ability, but I have to use hot or really warm water to dissolve the crystals properly. So, I was also buying regular liquid(ABC) until lately when I found 'The Soap Factory' liquid detergent, it's a bit weird because it has a strange smell but it's just until the clothes are dry, and then it disappears.

vivian said...

Thanks for the tip veggie! I will look for The Soap Factory products in my area. Since they are a St. Catherine's based company I should be able to find them somewhere nearby.

Unknown said...

I work for ARM & HAMMER and wanted to let you know that they have just come out with a new unscented, dye-free and dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin version of Essentials called Essentials Free Liquid Laundry Detergent Dye & Fragrance Free for Sensitive Skin. It still has all of the eco-sensitive benefits as the original plus the great price. I say keep looking for numerous ways to green your lifestyle!

vivian said...

Thanks Marisa! I will look for the new Arm & Hammer at my grocery store. I'm really enjoying my green journey. It's nice to find so many green options out there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I've tried out a lot of different detergents, too, and my favourite is 'biovert'. It's Canadian-made, doesn't cost a fortune, completely biodegradable, and most importantly does a great job cleaning. They also make a dish soap that I love. Happy washing!

Plunkybug said...

I just picked up some Nellie's Nuggets at my local London Drugs. They have a promo for the rest of the month if you buy the tin, which is pre-filled with 50 nuggets, you get a package of 36 nuggets for free. The tin was $13 and the package was $9 so I thought it was a decent deal. Will have to see how that works when I do laundry next. I have been trying to get local or Canadian and had not even thought to check that out, but pleasantly surprised that Nellie's is from North Vancouver, just across the water from me (in Victoria). :)

Anonymous said...

eczema free forever -
email finder -
energy 2 green -
error nuker -
evidence smart -
fat burning furnace -
fat loss 4 idiots -
final sync -
fitness model program -
fit yummy yummy -
flattenyourabs -
forex enterprise -
governmentregistry -
government registry -
home job stop -
homemadeenergy -
home made energy -
how do i get him back -
hyper vre -
keyword spy pro -
kingdom of pets -
mafia war secrets -
malware bot -
master cleanse secrets -
maternityacupressure -
maternity acupressure -
maximum paid surveys -
meet your sweet -
mobile tv pro -
musclegainingsecrets -
muscle gaining secrets -
my dish biz -
one minute cure -
paid surveys online -

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified pureandgreen.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://hewhatsnewtoday.info/forum].[/url][url=http://exlearnnewthings.info/].[/url][url=http://jhmotivationalquotes.info/].[/url]